What is Infertility?
At Fertility Institute of San Diego, part of our exceptional success is based on the fact that Dr. Hosseinzadeh takes the time to closely listen and assess what is causing your infertility.
Infertility can be caused by a variety of diseases and medical conditions and affects about one in six men and women of reproductive age. Regardless of the cause, the American Society for Reproductive Medicine and other leading reproductive professional organizations recommend seeing a fertility specialist if you meet the following conditions or circumstances:
- A woman under 35 years of age who has been unsuccessful getting pregnant after one year of unprotected sexual intercourse
- A woman over 35 who has been trying to conceive for six months or more
- Someone who has experienced two or more miscarriages
- A woman who has been diagnosed with a medical condition such as endometriosis or polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) or has a male partner with a low sperm count.
Common Causes of Infertility
A comprehensive evaluation, which typically takes one completed menstrual cycle, can usually uncover one or more factors that may be reducing fertility. These may be female factors, male factors or both.
Female infertility can be caused by:
- Age related issues or decreased ovarian reserve
- Problems with irregular ovulation or absence of ovulation
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Premature ovarian failure
- Hormone imbalances such as prolactin disorders
- Blockage or scarring of the fallopian tubes
- Pelvic adhesions
- Uterine fibroids
- Recurrent miscarriage (RPL)- clotting disorders; structural, chromosomal and infectious causes
- Unexplained infertility
Male infertility can be caused by:
- Azoospermia or complete absence of sperm
- Oligospermia or low sperm count
- Teratospermia or increased number of abnormally shaped sperm
- Congenital absence of the vas deferens
- Genetic disease or chromosomal abnormality
- Prior vasectomy
Happy Doctor’s Day to a fantastic Doctor !
We are so lucky to have met you and we will be forever grateful for your help!