If you are trying to conceive and it’s not happening as quickly as you expected, you maybe wondering if you have fertility issues. Infertility is defined as the inability to get pregnant after 12 months of trying to conceive if you are 35 years old or less and after 6 months if you are over 35 years of age.
5 common causes of Infertility are:
- Advancing Maternal Age: As women age, the number of eggs they produce and the egg quality decreases dramatically.
- Ovulation disorders: Normal and regular ovulation (the release of a mature egg) is essential for women to conceive naturally. There are many disorders that can impact a woman’s ability to ovulate normally. The most common disorder impacting ovulation is PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome).
- Uterine Fibroids: If a fertilized egg travels into the fallopian tube and a submucosal fibroid is nearby, it can thin out the lining and decrease the blood supply to the developing embryo.
- Endometriosis: This disorder occurs when endometrium tissue is found outside the uterus. The tissue growth can hinder conception from occurring and can cause problems with ovulation.
- Unknown: The cause of infertility remains unidentified in about 15% of men and women.
Fortunately there are fertility treatments to help overcome Infertility. Here are a couple of popular ones:
- Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) – This process consists of washing the sperm and preparing it for placement into the uterine cavity. This helps bypass the cervix and brings the sperm closer to the tubes and ovulated egg.
- In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) – This process consists of fertilization by combining an egg and sperm at a laboratory and then transferring the embryo to the uterus.
If you are having trouble conceiving and are considering the assistance of a fertility specialist, we welcome you to contact us with any questions you may have. The Fertility Institute of San Diego is a team of professionals that truly want to make your dreams a reality. You can learn more about us by visiting: http://www.fertilityinstitutesandiego.com/what-we-stand-for/our-values/